BYLAWS FOR THE EASY DOES IT WEEKEND
The Name of this organization shall be the Easy Does It Weekend.
The object is to facilitate the perpetuation of the Easy Does It Weekend sober camping experience for AA and Al-Anon Participants.
Section 1. The executive Officers of the group shall be a Camp Chairperson, a Treasurer/Registrar and a Recording Secretary. These officers shall be elected at the General Meeting and shall hold office for one Term (Term for Executive Officers is defined as two consecutive camps.)
Section 2. The Executive Officers of the board shall perform the duties prescribed for them in the parliamentary authority adopted by this organization.
Section 3. No Executive Officer shall hold more than one executive board office at one time and no executive officer shall be eligible for two consecutive terms in the same office.
Section 4. Cham Chairperson (Executive Officer) shall hold that office no more than one term every five years.
Treasurer/Registrar (Executive Officer) shall hold that office no more than one term every five years.
Recording Secretary (Executive Officer) shall hold that office no more than one term every five years.
Section 5. If a vacancy occurs in any Executive Office before any remaining organizing committee meetings, a vote to fill that office shall be held at the next scheduled organizing committee meeting. If a vacancy occurs after the last scheduled organizing committee meeting, the Executive Officers shall vote to fill that office.
Section 6. Advisory council: The former Camp Chairpersons and the Founder of Easy Does It Weekend shall constitute a standing Advisory Council to the Easy Does It Group. This group will provide the membership advisory functions, including a bylaws committee to review and propose changes at the General Meeting. The Executive Committee members are ex-officio members of this committee (voting members). The Executive Officers may appoint up to five additional camp members to this committee. The Council may be called upon to perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee.
Section 1. A General Meeting of the group shall be held at each Easy Does It Weekend camp out.
Section 2. The meeting shall be for the purpose of electing Executive Officers, Chairpersons, and conducting other business.
Section 3. Special meetings may be called by the Camp Chairperson (or his/her designee) for an emergency purpose. However, all non-emergency business should be conducted at the general meetings.
The rules contained in “Robert’s Rules of Order Revised” shall govern this board in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws.
Standing Rules for the Easy Does it Weekend:
The rules contained in this document shall govern the group in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with other bylaws of the Easy Does It Weekend Group.
- The City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks Regulations governing the use of the Camp Seely facility shall be enforced. These rules are contained in continuing contracts with the City of Los Angeles.
- Only Campers registered with the “EASY DOES IT WEEKEND” group may be permitted on camp grounds. Registered campers will be furnished name badge materials by the Registration Committee when they register, and will be required to wear them at all times during the camp out.
- No person under the age of 18 may attend an Easy Does it Weekend camp.
- No pets are allowed at an Easy Does it Weekend camp out at Camp Seely, subject to Federal, State and local regulations concerning Service Animals.
- No alcoholic beverages, mind-altering substances or illegal drugs are allowed on the Camp Seely facility. Campers who appear to be intoxicate or under the influence of alcohol/drugs will be asked to leave camp. Campers deemed to be medically unstable by the First Aid Attendant may not remain in Camp.
- There will be no refunds of any deposits or registrations fees for an Easy Does It Weekend camp. Campers with outstanding balances will not be permitted to register for camp until they have resolved their financial differences with the Registrar/Treasurer. If camp is cancelled for any reason, registrants will have the option to receive a refund or forward funds to the next scheduled camp.
- The total number of campers (including vendors, speakers & scholarships) attending an Easy Does it Weekend camp shall not exceed 160 maximum.
- Each Easy Does It Weekend shall have an Organizing Committee. The Organizing Committee shall include the Executive Committee (Camp Chairperson, Treasurer/Registrar and the Recording Secretary), previous Camp Chairpersons and the elected Committee Chairpersons.
- The members of the Executive Committee must have a minimum of 5 years’ continuous sobriety in AA or 5 years’ continuous recover in Al-Anon. Due to the financial responsibilities inherent with these positions, Executive Committee members must be capable of performing the functions of their positions without legal encumbrances or prohibitions.
- The Executive Committee officers and Committee Chairpersons shall be elected at the General Meeting conducted during the Easy Does It Weekend camp. The vote shall be by nomination duly seconded and passed by a majority of campers in attendance at the business meeting. (Campers can volunteer for office). Executive Officers are elected after one term; Committee Chairpersons serve for the next camp only except as noted in #13. Nominees must be present at the General Meeting to accept the nomination
- The Group’s newly elected Executive Officers shall serve one term beginning at the first Organizing Committee following close of Camp, and ending at the first Organizing Committee Meeting following two camps.
- The Camp Organizing Committee of each Easy Does It Weekend shall provide at least the following services (The Camp Chairperson shall have the discretion to combine assignments when necessary).
- First Aid Attendant
- Food Liaison
- Camp Fashions
- Camp Store
- City of LA Liaison
- Arts & Crafts
- Name tags
- Greeters/Parking Attendant
- The Chairpersons of the committees will be nominated and voted on at the general meeting. The term of service will be one camp (except for Camp Fashions, City of LA Liaison & Historian which will be for two consecutive camps). The Camp Chairperson will select a replacement should a vacancy occur.
- Attendance at the Organizing Committee Meetings is critical to the success of the Camp; therefore, attendance for officers and chairpersons is mandatory. Exceptions must be approved by the Executive Committee.
- A four-signature checking account for Easy Does It Weekend must be maintained with each new Executive Committee. The four signatures shall be those of the Camp Chairperson, Treasurer/Registrar, Secretary and the Camp Accountant (to be approved by General Meeting as needed) or those approved by current executive committee
- Easy Does it Weekend shall maintain a minimum of $10,000 with a maximum of $15,000 prudent reserve. If reserve exceeds the maximum after all camp expenses are paid the excess shall be given away as scholarships to the next camp. Scholarships are only given to newcomers with less than one year of recovery (AA or Al-Anon) and has never been to camp before.
- Any payment or obligation must have an invoice, itemized receipt or document accompanying it. Expenses approved by the previous Organizing Committee must be resolved prior to transition
- If, for any reason, Easy Does It Weekend cannot continue any money or equipment shall be equally divided and donated to AA and Al-Anon in a manner decided by the Advisory Council
- Any expenditures over established normal operating expenses must be approved by the General Membership Meeting at Camp.
- The two speakers for the Saturday night speakers meeting, the DJ & up to 2 helpers, the kitchen helpers and the coffee runners at the Easy Does It Weekend will receive food and lodging without fees.
- Cabins must be cleaned up, vacated and ready for checkout inspection by 10:00 AM on the Sunday of the camp out.
- A written Treasurer/Registrar’s report will be submitted to the Board at each General Meeting.
By laws shall be reviewed and passed by the membership at least every five years as needed. The Advisory Council will serve as the Ad-Hoc By-Laws Committ